Mid-level Engineering Technicians (Designers) at Black & Veatch are tasked with performing more advanced functions requiring knowledge and use of electronic applications, standards and document control processes/procedures in support of creating and modifying deliverables. This individual may also be asked to provide guidance and direction to other Drafters and Designers in the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare Civil/Structural drawings for a variety of Power and/or Oil & Gas facilities.
• Assist in planning and coordinating detailed drawings for building layout, site development or underground utilities. Drawings will include site arrangements, grading and drainage, underground utilities, architectural arrangements, foundations, steel detailing, floors and ductwork.
• Intermediate knowledge of Bentley Design Tools such as MicroStation, ProjectWise, Navigator, AECOsim Building Designer, InRoads and OpenPlant Modeler.
• AutoCAD knowledge a plus but not required.
• Use 3D software listed above to assist in modeling and/or review of Civil/Structural design components.
• Learn and successfully apply company, client, and project design standards and procedures.
• Demonstrate ability to apply formulas, principles, and practices to complete designated scope of design.
• Provide a range of drawing production work including problem analysis, layout, detailing, drafting, and calculations on project of substantial variety and complexity.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the Civil/Structural discipline or assigned specialty group within the discipline.
• Coordinate Civil/Structural design activities with other designers, and design disciplines.
• Successfully communicate and correspond with internal design resources and external clients and personnel.
• Execute project design changes.
• Maintain CAD proficiency and work toward mastering current CAD systems.
• May perform field inspections
• Other duties as assigned.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years related work experience strongly preferred.
• Intermediate knowledge of Bentley Design Tools strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated use of Computer Aided Drafting Design (CADD) tools.
• Intermediate knowledge of various engineering standards, procedures, and document control systems.
• Basic knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
Preferred Non-Technical Competencies:
• Strong communication skills
• Demonstrated problem solving capabilities
• Demonstrated drive for results
• Client-focused mentality