Job ID: 59606
Area of Interest: Professionals
Location: Baltimore, MD US
Hours of Work: M-F, 7:30a-4p
Job Facility: University of Maryland Medical System
Employment Type: Full Time
What You Will Do:
Under general supervision, plan, design, coordinate and manage various construction and building renovation projects for the University of Maryland Medical System. Fulfillment of the job duties requires the employee to have access to medication storage areas.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
* Oversees, manages and directs design and construction projects valued up to $10 million, ensuring that projects run according to schedule, meet financial objectives, are cost effective, and meet organizational goals.Facilitates and guides project development through customer coordination and the design process including meeting with customers to develop project scope and design hiring architects when necessary, ensuring that work is constructed through in-house personnel, contractors or a combination of both, and monitoring schedules to ensure that work is performed in accordance with schedule commitments. Conducts field investigations to ensure that project specifications and code requirements are met.
* Develops capital project scopes and budgets.
* Manages relocation efforts to clear project space. Works with users to help resolve related problems regarding such items as keys, signs, telephone transfers and warranty issues.
* Manages design and construction efforts through contractors and consultants, including overseeing and ensuring successful and effective field work, field changes, contracts, change orders, bonds, schedules, applications for payments, outages for hospital utilities, insurance certificates, progress meetings equipment installations, related problems, and related issues.
* Develops and administers capital budgets for design and construction services. Develops controls and initiatives that ensure cost effective management to budget. Develops and maintains project expense reporting systems which accurately reflect anticipated expenditures and variances.
* Prepares and provides project status reports and project schedules and prepares cash flow analyses for projects as needed.
* Communicates with the Director of Planning & Design, the Sr. Project Manager, consultants, skilled tradesmen, and medical or administrative support staff regarding construction project in order to maintain schedule, resolve conflicts, and obtain information necessary to the successful completion of the project.
* Closes out projects at completion, including termination of finances, operating and maintenance materials inspections.
* Ensures proper documentation of construction activities, budget/expenditure analysis and reporting.
* Communicates regularly with various allied health consultants, skilled tradesmen, medical and administrative support staff regarding construction projects in order to maintain schedule, resolve problems and obtain information necessary to the successful completion of the project.
* Develops and maintains a project documentation system including but not limited to: as-built drawings, operation and maintenance manuals, shop drawing log, etc. Works together with consultants and various Medical Systems personnel to develop documentation consistent with the project objectives and budget.
* Advises and consults with users and occupants whom may be affected or inconvenienced by the construction and/or renovation of hospital areas.
* Coordinates and manages the activities of Design and Construction contractors in accordance with procurement policies, procedures and standard practices, and generally accepted industry standards.Provides interpretation of plans and specifications and serves as contract liaison with architect/engineer/real estate consultants and vendors.
* Bids contracts, negotiates prices with contractors to perform the work within budget limitations and for the lowest fair and reasonable price.
* Negotiates value of work for progress payments and processes and approves invoices for payments.
* Evaluates contractor/vendor performance and provides constructive feedback to the vendor/contractor to improve future performance.
* Evaluates contractor/vendor proposals, processes and approves change orders as necessary.
* Manages and provides guidance and direction to staff to ensure accurate and timely production of work, and efficient and effective operations. Coordinates functions and activities to achieve department objectives and comply with regulatory requirements.Performs departmental training, evaluation, discipline and performance reviews. Initiates, recommends personnel actions such as merit increases, transfers, disciplinary actions and terminations as appropriate.
* Coordinates performance management with other senior staff to assure fairness and equity between teams, and to assure financial guidelines are met in regard to merit increases.
* Promotes positive employee relations and resolves departmental problems. Promotes intradepartmental communication and cooperation.
* Participates in continuing education for department staff. Promotes and encourages professional growth and development of personnel through attendance at in-services, workshops and seminars.
* Maintains quality standards of the trade by keeping current on changes, new and upcoming regulations and standards, and The Joint Commission requirements.
* Offers technical guidance, suggestions and expertise to the project team.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience
* Bachelor's Degree in architecture, engineering, or a related field, or a combination of education and applicable work experience, is required.
* Five (5) years experience in architecture, engineering, or construction management is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Demonstrated knowledge of architectural design concepts, general engineering concepts and construction is required.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to operate and use a personal computer to enhance daily job requirements.
* Effective team leadership, supervisory and team-building skills are preferred.
* Ability to work effectively in a stressful work environment is required.
* Highly effective communication skills, both written and verbal, are necessary for effective communication with architects, engineers, UMMS staff and contractors. These skills are also required to provide accurate project documentation.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.