New York City, NY, United States
Civil Engineering, Engineering, Internship
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The purpose of this position is to attract new engineers and to promote careers in railway engineering by providing an entry point for engineers in training. Accepted candidates for this position will have an opportunity to apply their education and engineering skills in the railway environment to gain firsthand work experience in the various aspects of railway engineering.
Under the supervision of assigned Engineering Manager(s) the position will:
* Assist in the management and supervision of engineering resources in the field involved in project and construction related activities including planning, managing and tracking projects including put not limited to field observations, punch list reviews, close-out documentation.
* Assist in providing technical, logistical, and administrative support to project and construction managers to ensure successful completion of assigned project tasks within scope, schedule and budget.
* Assist in performing engineering surveys, design reviews and other analyses of fixed infrastructure assets and components to improve reliability and enhance safety and regulatory compliance.
* Attend office meetings, field meetings, and conference calls. .
* Specific work assignments will be determined based upon the planned project activities which involve environmental remediation or reviews/audits.
* This position begins Summer/May 2019
* Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management or equivalent Engineering degree.
* Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
* Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status .
* Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
* Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p
* Prior work experience in design, construction or related experience.
* Must be able to take and remain current on all Amtrak Safety and Environmental Training requirements.
* Familiar with reading drawings/blueprints
* Strong organization and time management skills
* The ability to work independently and as part of a team
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):New York
Education Requirements:High School/GED
Employment Experience Requirements:1 - 3 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering
Website : https://www.amtrak.com
The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak, is a corporation striving to deliver a high quality, safe, on-time rail passenger service that exceeds customer expectations. Learn all about Amtrak here from every angle.