Description of Work
Salary Grade: 23
* For current State employees, please note as of June 1, 2018, promotional priority and salary administration will be made based on the new Statewide NC Classification System.
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety (DPS) is the largest state agency with 26,000 employees and is responsible for safeguarding and preserving the lives and property of its citizens through prevention, protection, and preparation. We have a mission that matters.
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety is seeking an energized, collaborative and team/action oriented Deputy Director of Construction to provide leadership and professional guidance to an established well-respected team that sets high standards and executes quality timely results for the State of North Carolina's in house construction team of up to 650 members that focuses on institutional / industrial / office work.
This position serves as the Director of Engineering's principal alternate on the Construction Program management issues. This position has the authority to represent the Director of Engineering on all construction and major maintenance services directly performed (statutorily referred to as Force Account) by DPS Central Engineering resources. This position serves as a member of Central Engineering's management team consisting of the Director of Engineering, the Deputy Director for Design & Technical Services, and the Assistant Director for Administrative Services.
The successful candidate will provide the Department with direction, management and coordination of Force Account construction services, functioning in the capacity of a single-prime contractor, to perform the construction of complex, multi-million dollar projects. Day to day direction and management duties include direction of planning, scheduling, estimating, procurement, logistical considerations of material storage and supply, civilian and inmate labor manpower planning, consulting, project inspections and quality control, and major sub-contract administration services. This position provides technical and administrative supervision and direction to the multi-discipline, construction management engineers and technicians within the Construction & Major Maintenance Section. The team consists of approximately 75 FTE's and contract staff that form the management / leadership / operations portion of the group with the remainder consisting of flexible labor resources (up to 600) via inmate labor.
The position also participates significantly in the strategic financial planning for Central Engineering, which includes, but is not limited to capital program management generally - preparing capital improvements and repair/renovation budgets / estimates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
Listed below are the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) associated with this position. These KSA's, along with the Minimum Education and Experience Requirements listed, are required in order to be deemed eligible for the position. Qualified applicants must possess and application must clearly reflect work experience that demonstrates the following:
* Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and theories of multiple fields of engineering as they relate to construction.
* Thorough knowledge of the materials, design practices, operational requirements and of the codes, laws and ordinances pertaining to multi-discipline construction.
* Ability to review the design of outside consultants / architects and to read and interpret all related plans and specifications.
* Ability to estimate costs for construction projects, monitor and manage construction projects, and to technically and administratively direct others and review and evaluate their work.
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to develop plans to accomplish work operations and long-range goals and objectives.
* Demonstrated ability to technically oversee all services.
* Demonstrated ability to evaluate and allocate resources, plan budgets and contracts.
* Four-year degree in either Mechanical, Electrical or Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited university.
* (10) years' experience providing direction, management and coordination of a construction team that focuses on multi-million dollar institutional, commercial, apartment, office or industrial projects. Primary preference is institutional / industrial.
* Minimum 5 years' experience developing Critical Path Method schedules for major construction projects using Primavera Scheduling Software.
* Prior experience with major construction contract administration and / or project management.
* Prior experience collaborating with design engineers, project managers and/or design architects to execute construction timely.
* Thorough knowledge of NC General Statutes and processes governing public construction.
* Thorough experience managing construction project or operational budgets.
* Licensed as a NC Professional Engineer.
* Certified PMP.
ADA Physical Requirements will be discussed during the interview. Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor's degree in engineering from an appropriately accredited institution and a minimum of six years of progressive engineering experience including three years of supervisory experience. Necessary Special Qualifications May require registration as a professional engineer by the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors. May require certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) from the Project Management Institute.
Supplemental and Contact Information
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety (DPS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages qualified men and women to apply. DPS uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified individuals. Hiring salary will be based on relevant qualifications, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position.
* Online applications are only accepted through ***** To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the State of North Carolina application. Any information omitted cannot be considered for qualifying credit. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application.
* The Knowledge, Skills and Abilities AND the Minimum Education and Experience are REQUIRED in order to be considered qualified for the position. Therefore, you MUST provide supporting information within the body of the application that clearly demonstrates your possession of the KSA's and the Education/Experience requirements. DPS will NOT accept see attached resume in lieu of education and work experience completed on the application.
* Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
* Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
* During the online application process, if additional documentation is required, attach the documentation at the bottom of Step 4 in the application process. If applying for a position certified through the North Carolina Department of Justice-Criminal Justice Standards Division, refer to ****for specific certification requirements.
* The N.C. Department of Public Safety must adhere to the United States Department of Justice Final Rule on the National Standards to Prevent, Detect, and Respond to Prison Rape under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standards at 28 C.F.R. Part 115 Docket No. OAG-131 RIN 1105-AB34. Refer to ****for hiring and promotion prohibition requirements for all positions in the N. C. Department of Public Safety.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. You can check the status of the application by logging into your account at ****and clicking Application Status.
For technical assistance with completing the application please ****. If there are any questions specific to this posting, please ****.