Sr. Manager, Design & Construction - Global Real Estate & Facilities
As a member of the Global Real Estate & Facilities (GREF) team overseeing corporate office space - this position will lead design & construction for projects in Seattle. This role combines team leadership with deep design, project management, and construction management expertise, while maintaining a customer centric approach. We seek a senior construction manager who demonstrates proven success in a fast-growing real estate organization delivering large scale office projects on time and on budget. The successful candidate must operate as a true partner to local business leaders, Finance, HR, Security, IT, Food Programs and other functional areas and establish highly integrated relationships with vendor partners. He/she must be comfortable operating on both the strategic and tactical levels, simultaneously diving deep into projects while managing large teams delivering multiple projects. A proven track-record, expertise, and passion for design & construction management with strong financial acumen, is critical.
The optimal candidate is an experienced, vibrant, and engaging professional who will excel within an entrepreneurial culture - providing vision, leadership, and communication - not afraid to dive deep into details. They should also understand the nuance of being approachable, while at the same time consultative- providing direction/recommendations and fostering transparent relationships. The candidate must be able to balance frugality with creativity in offering solutions and approach problem-solving with an emphasis on root cause.
• Represent GREF to internal customers for the design, build, & delivery of their office space
• Work closely with and manage teams of project managers, architects, design consultants, contractors, and subcontractors to ensure decisions are made at the appropriate level and Amazon's priorities are always the driving factor
• Provide management of design and construction projects, which may include the following:
• Develop program &/or masterplan along with resource plans, budgets, & timelines.
• Guide the design phase using Amazon standards and best practices
• Guide the construction process, including selection of contractors, contract negotiations, approvals of budgets, change orders, procurement and contracting methods, schedule, and subcontractors.
• Responsible for design reviews including approvals or rejections of design by customers or management.
• Oversee and manage the projects to ensure timely completion, efficient use of resources and successful transfer of space to end users.
• Deliver customer satisfaction by creating a great work environment for Amazon employees
• Oversee project management vendors and the creation of project budgets for spend approvals
• Influence design guidelines, including minimum specifications, basis of design for various building systems, etc.
• Assist in the evaluation / due diligence of prospective buildings or leases.
• Work with Amazon Procurement to establish priorities and create/implement strategies for generation of savings on corporate office construction related items through harnessing economies of scale and direct negotiation with manufacturers.
• Negotiate with landlords regarding issues surrounding possession timing, latent defects, etc.
• A minimum of 15 years professional experience required - a significant portion of which should demonstrate success leading architectural & construction teams in the delivery of large scale commercial office projects
• Experience as a leader with 5-10 years of senior management responsibilities
• Bachelor's degree in Project Management, Construction, Architecture or related field
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Proven track record of delivering large scale buildouts & leading large project teams
• Exceptional communication skills; ability to lead cross-functional teams through influence, advice, and modeled behavior versus micromanagement; excellent interpersonal skills; calm under pressure, able to de-escalate and effectively manage escalations at all levels of the company
• A track record of championing speed, flexibility and frugality in the face of rapid change and extremely heavy workload
• Highly competent with personal computers and productivity software, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, and SharePoint
• Solid understanding of sourcing/procurement, project budgeting, vendor management and customer service
• Comfortable with legal terms and structures for standard commercial contracts
• Master's Degree
• Advanced skills in all Microsoft products
• Strong ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems
• Self-starter who sets aggressive goals and consistently gets results
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and successfully execute tactics
• Effective resource management and project management skills
• Experience using project management software
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.